May 06, 2008

Driver License

To get the driver license is one of the purposes that I am here in the states. Although I barely have chance to drive a car, since I don't have a one, it's still more convenient to have a driver license rather than just an ID card. I have driven a car before, so I don't think it would be a hard task for me. However, I did some driving practice after passing the written test, and found it's not as easy as I used to think.


For example, American people, especially the drivers in the suburb of California, are used to a smooth traffic flow. They will not expect that accidents happen so often like Taiwan and always drive pretty fast. If I can't get rid of the driving habit of Taiwan, which people called,"defensive driving", I'll fail definitely. In California, you can't drive too slow, or use brakes that often! Anyway, it's a part of the culture, I have to get used to it. Therefore, even I already know how to drive, taking some driving lessons is inevitable.

The coach is the same guy who taught my brother and mother, (He told me that's why I got some discount. God knows!) and both of them passed the driving test at the very first time. So even the fee is pretty expensive, I still take four-hour lesson from him. Throughout the classes, I have to say there's a lot differences. If I did not learn these tips from him, it's impossible to pass the test so easily and get such a high score. After leaving DMV, it took me only 10 mins for the test and then we head back to the base. Maybe I changed lane only two or three times. My officer was an nice Indian lady, thanks her for trusting my driving skill. Finally, thanks all the support from my uncle Tom, who gave me lots of useful advices and opportunities to drive. After all, Practice makes perfect.

number of errors:1 (check the upper right side of the sheet)



“Now you got something that the whole world recognizes. It's a California driver license. Cool, huh?” The Coach said.